I have many Halloween memories.
One year, maybe 4th or 5th grade, my mom let me have a sleep over. That was the year that I dressed up as a mad scientist. During the party, my mom came downstairs and had us turn off the lights. She had each of us girls touch gross and disgusting things... peeled grapes (eye balls), spaghetti (brains) etc. I'm sure you get the picture. Later we were up way past our bed times, telling ghost stories. Then my favorite part... light as a feather / stiff as a board. It was just a memory that has always stuck with me.
In 8th grade, I had another party. I remember my mom's boyfriend helping me decorate the house and the front yard. We made the whole front yard look like a cemetery. My mom's boyfriend helped me make it look like arms were coming out the ground and helped me make grave stones. It was so much fun! (This is probably why I still decorate my front yard so festive). I was able to clean out our entire basement and me it just a party room for my friends. I remember feeling just so "cool" because it felt like a teenager party cause we were mostly "unsupervised". (Although my mom was just up the stairs!).
In high school, I remember always going to the Hubertus House of Horrors. I don't know why, cause I really don't like scary things. I remember once going with my friend, Brad. You have to understand that he is more than a foot taller than me. He was a big football player guy, but with brains! I remember just clingy to him the entire way through the haunted house. He made me feel safe and protected. I had a crush on him then, but could never really tell him. I even remember how afterwards we were sitting by the steps just talking and I somehow managed to flip him over this railing.
College, of course, is just a unique Halloween experience. The first year of college, I promptly broke up with my high school boyfriend (yes, my hubby). In my heart ache (yes, that I caused), I left town and headed up to Madison for the festivities. Can I just say, Madison @ Halloween is like Treat 'R Treating for Adults? Never have I've seen so many people drinking and walking around. I really had a good time that night, but my intention of getting to oblivion to forget my heart ache was killed by the incredible stomach ache that I caused myself. You know what they say "Liquor before beer...".
In my 20's something, Halloween became more of a "working holiday". I remember one year I was able to convince an entire group of computer programmers to dress up as "jail inmates" and our boss was our "warden". If you ever met some computer programmers, you'd understand that this wasn't an easy thing to do. However, I was often told that I don't fit the mold of a "typical programmer".
Now in my 30's, Halloween is more about my children. It's their turn to enjoy a little pretend and dress up. It's fun watching them go door to door for the candy that I will eventually sneak away.
I know many people do not like Halloween. Many people have an issue with the holiday's historic past. For me, it's more like a hallmark holiday, one that doesn't count. I just enjoy the day for being a day of pretend. A day where you can be who you want to be. A day where you can party with friends and be silly in the protection of a "fake identity". Coming from a broken past, this holiday always provided me an escape. It was the day that I never had to be me.
No comments:
Post a Comment