The motion read, in part: "The Gulnare Freewill Baptist Church does not condone interracial marriage. Parties of such marriages will not be received as members, nor will they be used in worship services and other church functions, with the exception being funerals."
And: "The recommendation is not intended to judge the salvation of anyone, but indicated to promote greater unity among the church body and the community we serve."
Wow.
Really?
It's hard to swallow that this could happen in a church. It becomes very personal to me as we have an interracial family. When we became foster parents they give us a huge checklist. What kind of children would you be willing to accept. Age? Gender? Emotional Issues? Physical Limitations? Siblings? Children likely or less likely to be reunified? Race? It some ways it felt like I was ordering a custom hand bag. We choose that our family wouldn't be determined by a particular race. Skin color to us isn't a factor that will limit our love.
Sure, it comes with challenges. My children can be very hard on their own race, especially Peaches (the oldest). They all notice that other families all "look the same" and we are different. They have had classmates ask why their "mom" is one way and they look different.
At least in this community, most people are accepting. It also seems that with the increase of international adoptions, that a family that doesn't look identical is becoming more popular and not such a rarity.
Not every community is that accepting. We recently went on a trip to Arkansas. We asked the caseworker to make sure to give us a note stating we could transport the children across state lines. In my head, I knew already that we would have more than a few looks as our family headed down to the pool. Or to breakfast... or basically anywhere we went.
And we did. We did get some stares. We got some funny looks. I just did my best to not notice them or let them bother me.
This is my family. I know without a doubt that God choose these children for me. He has shaped me and seen me grow because of them. I am not the same person I was two years ago. Some of my rougher spots have really soften. I feel so much love and happiness when I am with my family.
It breaks my heart that some places in this world can be so cold and unaccepting of others. As a mother, it isn't the kind of world that I want for my children. I will be praying that God changes the heart of people to love ALL people. To let their personal bias go and seek biblical wisdom. I am blessed by my children and thank God that He choose such wonderfully created kiddos for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment