Wednesday, December 14, 2011

What? There's no Santa?

I love how society swings from one side to the other side.  We do that from the latest fashions, diets, politics and parenting tips.  (I can't even remember if they consider eggs healthy or not cause they seem to change their minds on that yearly).  It seems the whole Christmas thing is becoming that way too.

I've heard stories of famous actress who reportedly will not be giving their 1 year old adopted child any Christmas presents this year -- "doesn't want to set up any expectations of the holiday".

I just read an article about a news reporter who went on the air saying we should tell our children that there is no Santa. Essentially, she felt that children needed a dose of reality.

I've heard from other people about how their kiddos are not getting anything from Santa this year or are giving things away. (Which by the way, I love supporting other families and sharing this time of year. But I guess I also have the need to share with my own family too).

Well, it just all makes me cranky. Yes, the true heart of Christmas is the birth of our Lord and Savior. Yes, He was more than just a gift for us. He was the Ultimate gift. He is "the reason for the season". But it's that gift that we recall, that inspires us and warms our hearts to share and to give. To me, giving to my family is love. It's one of my love languages.  I don't go out often and buy my kiddos things. They normally get their majority of toys, gadgets or outdoor gear either at their birthday or Christmas.  It helps to cut down the whining in the stores. They need to purchase anything else with their work income from chores. So those two occasions, I really enjoy giving. It feels good to me to see them excited and unwrapping their gifts. I love seeing the joy and their happiness

It's like somehow everyone lost their childhood images of Christmas. Christmas is magical for kiddos. Or at least it should be. It was the only time I could wish big and maybe just maybe I get that special gift.  It was the only time of the year that I would let myself ask for something big.  One year I remember asking Santa for my Barbie Doll Dream House. It was just such a special Christmas to wake up and find it.  Years later, I remember how special that was to me. 

I guess I just don't see taking Santa away. I don't see taking the gifts away. I don't see taking the magic away.

We all grow up. Then we realize we don't always get what we ask for and we stop hoping and dreaming about it. The magic begins to disappear and we continue on with family traditions and routine. We rush from here to there. Kids will have years of reality. Let them have their magic and Santa for just a little longer. Let them have this magical time of year.


'Remember, if Christmas isn't found in your heart, you won't find it under a tree.'
Charlotte Carpenter

No comments:

Post a Comment