It's been a few weeks coming... the start of school. I have been trying to help the kiddos get up earlier each week to get ready for their new schedule. I've also been trying to see how long I am going to need to get three children ready and out the door by 8am (ish). (When Peaches came, she continued to go to her school in Milwaukee and had a different schedule.) So the past week, if they weren't ready by 8 am, I would tell the kids, "Tomorrow you get up 15 minutes earlier". Seems to be that Princess seems to find a way to make a turtle look fast.
I had gotten a little frustrated that Princess was so slow. So I did the math. (Yes, I've been told it's a little OCD). Did you know that her decision to go slow and wake up 15 minutes later each school day could cost her 45 hours of sleep over the school year? (And ultimately it costs me the same amount of lost sleep!) It really made me think, what is the cost of decisions?
Often, I think that decisions won't have such a huge impact. Surely, if it was just one time... but then maybe it becomes a habit and look at the expense you paid. For me, it isn't being slow in the morning, but maybe eating a snack when I'm stressed out. I guess I don't realize how often that is until I see the scale again. The negative decisions can be expensive.
I also started thinking about the rewards of making positive decisions. The choice to wake up earlier and do a bible study and start my day off right, eating fruit instead of chocolate, praying instead of worrying... Those rewards sometimes cannot be measured but are so worth it.
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and he will establish your plans." ~ Proverbs 16:3
No comments:
Post a Comment