I'm writing this on the eve of my daughter's 13th birthday. A teenager. Where has the time gone?
When we were first called about a placement, we were given the opportunity to care for two wonderful siblings. At the time, the twins were five years old. During the phone call, the worker was telling us about the twins. What they liked to eat, their favorite movies and characters and other information. The worker also told us that they had a 9 year old sister. Without a beat, without knowing any of them, we asked if it is possible to have the entire sibling group.
During training, they really drilled on us the importance about trying to keep siblings together. I can't imagine how scary it is to come into foster care and then to be separated from your siblings too?
Since our license was only for 2, we could only take the twins at that time. We fought and continued to fight for five months before they were FINALLY reunified and under one roof. In that time, we began our own sibling visits with the blessing of Peaches' former foster family. The first time we really met Peaches was when we picked her up and took all of them to the Milwaukee Domes. We came back to our house so she could see where her siblings lived. It really helped her feel more comfortable knowing who was taking care of her siblings.
I'm so glad that she came and has been able to be here with her siblings. I'm glad that she is my daughter. Moody and all. She really stands up for herself and knows who she is. She is comfortable with who she is. I love it. I love her good heart and how she is a great big sister. I love how she is determined in this life. She is going to grow up and be her own success story.
My girl... she is growing up. Becoming a woman. A beautiful one from the inside out.
Happy Birthday Peaches. You have been a huge blessing to this family. I'm glad you came.
No comments:
Post a Comment