Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Where are the parents? (Caution PG suggested)

I should just begin this posting with a disclaimer: I went to the Human Growth & Development meeting for 4th graders.

For a district meeting of 4th grade parents (actually only 1/2 of the district elementary schools), there were maybe 30 to 40 parents there. Comparing with how many 4th graders are in the district, it seems to me to be a drop in the bucket.

We watched a total of three videos. However, it was the "boy" video and the "girl" video that really bugged me. Sure I thought it did a great job teaching children about their bodies. The video included a lot of lite humor to help the children get over the embarrassment of talking about their bodies. Something was just bugging me.

The synopsis of the "girl" video is that a girl sleeps over at a friend's (girl A) house and gets her period (girl B). (I know, just every girl's nightmare.) Girl A goes to get her mom, but Girl B is kind of embarrassed and says she can't talk o Girl A's mother. So they go and raid Girl A's sister's bathroom for the necessary items to handle the situation. Girl A's sister comes into the bathroom and talks to the girls about how to use the necessary item and about their bodies. The next day, the big sister takes the girls shopping and gives them a book to help them learn about puberty.

I'm sure I left out a few details here and there. Essentially that was the jest of it. The "Boys" video is pretty much the same way but the two boys are talking with an older brother.

So my question was "The school district is encouraging the students to ask their parents questions. Then why is the video so contradicting to this?"  I was wonder after watching the videos, "Where are the parents?".  Shouldn't the kids in the video be discussing this with parents instead of their friend's older sibling?  I would be very upset if Peach slept over at a friends house and received an "education" from an sibling. Is it just me that thinks that the media is trying more and more to push out parents?  No wonder why kids think that they can't talk to parents. It's just every where!

Anyone else want to add their two cents? I feel like I need to object to the videos more because of where the kids in the video are seeking their information than rather what information was provided. It wasn't at all what I thought I would be objecting to tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment