Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Memories

I've been reflecting on many of my favorite Christmas memories. I don't have any memories of a Christmas with both my mother and father. They were divorced before I even turned six years old. I do have many memories of Christmas with my father. I remember watching all the "classics" with him. One of my favorites was Rudolph. Here is a short clip to share with you:



I remember how my father decorated the Christmas tree. I remember the tinsel and these really cool bubble lights. Even today when I see those bubble lights I can't help but feel a little giddy inside. Christmas with my dad would entail going to see his family. We'd spend the evening having a dinner that was themed to a different country. I remember going to his church for the candlelight service. My cousins and I would hand out gifts. I loved being able to wrap presents for my cousins too! (Although they just didn't appreciate all those layers of glue, duck tape and all the other creative wrapping that I used.)

When my dad and I got home, I'd be in my pj's. Dad would always let me open my presents that night. In the morning, I'd get to open all the presents from Santa.

Today when I was shopping, I came across the cordial cherries. I was flooded with emotion. Every year when my grandpa was around, I would get him like 6 or 8 boxes of them. They were my grandpa's favorites. I would always try one, but I couldn't stand the taste. Seeing the box today brought back all these memories of spending Christmas with my father.

One memory still stands out over all the rest. I remember the Christmas tree lights were on and it was late. We had Christmas music on. I remember looking up at my father and asking him to dance with me. It was him dancing with me that stands out most of all my Christmas memories. I've always loved my father so very much. All I wanted was for him to know just how much I loved him. No matter how "German" he  is, I know that he loves me too. He's just a man with few words. When I least expect it, he demonstrates his love in a way that is always memorable to me.

Merry Christmas to all of you! May you treasure your favorite Christmas memories and enjoy the new ones that are yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment